Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All About My Hernia!

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I went to the doctor because I thought I had cancer. I didn't really think I had cancer. Okay, so I really did think I did, but deep down I didn't think I had it. Maybe. Anyway, the doctor (technically a Family Nurse Practitioner) felt a lump on my neck and said it was nothing, but she still ordered a blood test to reassure me. She called me 15 minutes after I left the office to tell me that the blood work came back just fine. Whew! She is won.der.ful! If you need a family practitioner her name is Sandy Brewer and is at the Wabash Medical Center....check her out

She also checked out another lump. This was is on my belly in between my rib cage and belly button and is about the length of my hand. When I was pregnant with Cael I found this big bulge on my belly and went to the doctor. They sent me for an ultrasound and told me they couldn't find anything. That was four years ago. This entire time I have just lived with it, but the past 6 months or so it has grown and causes me a lot of pain sometimes. Mainly when my hyper 3 year old jumps on my stomach. Sandy checked me out and immediately said I had a hernia, and referred me to a general surgeon.

Last Wednesday Tara and I headed to Springfield 1st to see the general surgeon. Here she is waiting with me. (She thought it was weird I was taking her picture. I say she obviously doesn't have blog...right Emily and Kellie?? These things have to be documented!)
The surgeon was not impressive at all, so I won't mention his name. He wasn't sure it was a
hernia and told me, get ready for this....that he thought my six pack had ripped in half. Yeap, you heard that. My six pack. Anyway, he wasn't convince and sent me for a CATscan.
So, today Steve and I headed for my CATscan. I was pretty nervous. I realize a CATscan is a pretty normal procedure, but I still wasn't looking forward to it. I was all worked up about drinking this :

I had to drink three full cups within an hour, and it wasn't pleasant at all! They originally told me I only had to drink two and a half cups, but they ended up bringing in a full third cup. That extra half a cup almost put me over the edge. It was gross and I was so thankful I had my hubby there to be my time keeper and cheer me on.

I also had an IV with contrast in it and it was so weird. The nurse told me I would feel a warm sensation in the back of throat that would go all the way down to my pelvis. She also told me I would feel like I had to pee. And sure enough, it was the craziest feeling ever, I was convinced I had wet myself. But just so that I don't leave you all wondering, I assure you I did not. It wasn't nearly as scary as I had imagined, but I kept thinking about all the people who have to have CATscans that are fighting for their lives. That is scary! Thank you Jesus that my issue is just a hernia!

The surgeons office called me back today to let me know that in fact I do have a hernia and it will need to be corrected by surgery. So on Friday Tara and I will head back to the
"oh so wonderful" general surgeon to have a surgery consultation. I know that hernia surgery is nothing serious, but I still don't like the idea of any surgery. So, come Friday I should have all my questions answered and a surgery date scheduled.

And since I am all about honesty here, yes I still have a slight fear that Friday he could tell me there is something a whole lot more serious going on than just a hernia. Thank you Dad for passing along your ability to worry and assume the worst. :)

1 comment:

  1. When I was having all my heart stuff going on, I had to have an angiogram done. This is when they shoot the dye through your heart to watch how the blood is flowing. So there I was, completely naked of the exam table, with no warning of the "I gotta pee" feeling. All of a sudden I am over taken by the warm feeling and all I could think was... "Oh my gosh I think I'm peeing. Holy crap! I'm peeing right now!". It was super embarrasing. Thankfully, I found out later that I was actually able to keep controll of all of my faculties.

    Good luck with all this icky medical stuff. I'm glad to hear that it's nothing too serious, but we will be praying for healing regardless!

    ReplyDelete